Monday, September 27, 2010

Lead Me - Video from yesterday's message

I finished yesterday's message with the story of how Esau gave up his birthright for a bowl of stew. Esau gave his brother Jacob his entire future for nothing more than some cooked lentils. That is insane to me. So why do I do that very same thing - except not really the lentil part? Why do I give up my kid's future for nothing more than a few hours more in the office, or for nothing more than just one more check of my e-mail or just one more tweet? When will I realize that my wife and my kids are worth so much more than any hobby, than any work related demand, than any 'emergency' that demands my attention?

Last summer, after multiple efforts to try to help me see how I was putting everything else in front of my wife and family, Julie showed me that I need to chose to be intentional about putting them first. I needed to chose to give my family the best of my time, the best of my energy, the best of my passion - and not just give them whatever was left after I had spent everything I owned in my career, or my hobbies or my church. The words of this song really are what we walked through, and continue to walk through. Maybe you are in the same place with your wife and family. Maybe it is time for you to take your head out of the sand and begin to lead your family.


1 comment:

Ray McDonald said...

Jason - the message you and Julie shared was powerful. Your challenge at the end touched my heart and reminded me - again - that my wife and children (even fully grown children) are more important that everything else - except God! I need these reminders often - because I do not always do what I should do - for sure!

Thanks again to you and Julie. Once again I pledge to not trade the eternal for the temporal!