Monday, September 27, 2010

Create a Rhythm - When you Sit at Home

My wife has often challenged me that my physical presence at home did not always equate to me actually 'being at home' with my family. What she meant by that was that even though I was physically in our house, I was mentally engaged in whatever the current issue was at church or at work. Being at home needs to become being at home - completely.

I have the luxury of an hour long drive home after work each day. Yes, I called it a luxury, because I have decided that this is the time that I re-live all of my office encounters. This is the time when I replay the conversations and choose the words were I win. My intention is that by the time I arrive at home that I can close the door to my truck and leave the office in there. When I open the door to greet my family I am trying hard to be present completely - physically, emotionally and spiritually. I am not always successful with this, but this is the ONE THING that I am intentionally doing to make our times when we sit at home more meaningful. If you talk to any craftsman they will tell you that preparation is the most important aspect of any job. So I prepare myself to engage my family.

What ONE THING are you planning to intentionally do with your family when you sit at home?

Last night we played checkers, we played cards, we read stories - we engaged and interacted. To be honest, I was tired and would have quite happily curled up on the sofa to sleep through the game like half the population. My kids wanted to play. I had to make a choice. In the interest of full disclosure, we did leave the game on in the background. Old habits die hard.

Share your ONE THING, or your sit at home experiences with your family.

No comments: