Thursday, February 12, 2009

I Want To Be In A Church Plant

Every now and then I feel like I want to be in a church plant. I don't know if you have ever been in a church plant, but the excitement that is felt by everyone involved is incredible. I have been involved in church planting before and there is nothing like that small group of pioneers who feel like they are stepping off a cliff into the great unknown, trying to follow where God leads and to allow Him to be the guide. Each tiny victory is celebrated as a huge success. Each time a bill gets paid on time there is a desire to hold a full-on worship event to celebrate God's faithfulness. The sense of connectedness is palpable, the love for the body and from the body is tremendous. Sometimes I want to be in a church plant.

But I'm not.

God has placed me in Mt Oak - and I believe for a reason, but that doesn't mean I don't sit some times and long for the passion that exists in a new venture. It doesn't mean that I don't miss the days when you just let people know that we are going to pray on such and such a night and everyone shows up - at least for a little while. It doesn't mean that I cant long again for the days when it felt like it was us against the world as we boldly stepped out on faith promises and whispers from God - and then rejoiced in amazement as we saw a miraculous God do miraculous things for sinful little us.

Sometimes I want to be in a church plant.

3 comments:

jkjosefm said...

My friend Rob planted a church just last Tuesday. A group of us got together just to sing and pray. He planted it in his dorm room. It probably won't be there by next Tuesday though. It might move to my friend Elizabeth's.

I went to a church that was planted in a basement. Only 5 - 7 people showed up. It was on a Saturday and these people just sat and sought God from beginning to end. I don't think the church was there the following week but then I found out these 5 - 7 simply meet monthly.

I caught a glimpse of a church planted in the foyer of an academic building. 10 girls were sitting with bibles open getting to know their God.

What was funny? On Sunday each and every one of these people went to their own separate established churches and worshiped with an even bigger body.

It was then that I realized church and the building are great. Let's not forsake the meeting of saints, but really? I think it's time to get over ourselves. New church or not :).

What has been was and will never return. It's not only churchgoers that are "Bowling Alone" (Book reference lol).

The small group of pioneers as all of us on this amazing pilgrimage from one world to the next should learn the lesson: Let go and let God.

He alone ignites the passion; He alone is worthy of connection, and He alone will motivate us to pray.

The building is a great place to invest monetarily and w/ time... but The Kingdom of God doesn't just exist in one place and with one set of people for me, though I know where I'd like to call home :-).

Personally we honestly try wwwwaaaayyyy too hard these days.

Jason Craig said...

Thanks for the thoughts Josef, but there is something truly exhilirating about stepping out on a new venture and trusting completely in God. There are times in a big church that I feel that aspect stifled or hindered by the safety mechanisms we set in place. There is also something special when a diverse band of people focus their lives and energy into getting something new going. Again that is hard to do in an established church. I think the closest way I can describe it is like being a senior in high school. Old enough to drive, but with few commitments to tie you down. At that point in your life you go where you want to go and take risks and believe you can change the world. As you get older and take on life responsibilities like a mortgage and a family you stop running around and can lose your dreams. That is sometimes how I feel church can be - dream-less.

Having said that, I know that I am where God wants me to be right now, and I am working my best to be faithful to what He has called me to do, but there are just a few times when the dreams come and fill my mind and I think "what if...?"

jkjosefm said...

Aah, thanks for the better insight. I'm glad God has given you passion, Jason. It's something that can't be man-made or induced. I hope that I find and am faithful to the passion God has put in my life and follow His leading too.

Thanks. :D