Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Do You Hear That? - That is the sound of family time

As we wake on another beautiful new day of snowfall, school closings, government shut downs, icy roads, treacherous travel conditions, what are you thinking? It struck me last night that the past five or six days have probably for many been the longest period of time that families have spent together, unable to go anywhere or really see anyone else. So how is that going for you? Are you ready to strangle someone? Or have you found that this gift of time with your family has been an opportunity to strengthen your family?

When you look back at the snow of 2009/10 what will your memories be? When your kids look back at the snow of 2009/10, what will their memories be? Will your kids eyes light up as they recall the day when daddy crawled through the snow with them to build that snow fort or snow man? Will their memories be of the fact that mom and dad were home with them for a long time and each day was a new adventure? How have you taken this enforced family time to build your family and strengthen your bonds with your kids?

If you are like me then you have probably had those times when you just wished the roads were open enough for you to slip slide your way to a store just for a break from the noise that kids can generate. Sadly, when I think of these types of thoughts my heart aches that I miss the opportunity to see the potential in giving my kids all of my time and attention and wish for 'peace and quiet'.

Today, I will do the work that I need to do when my kids are asleep, but when they are awake I am going to give them all of my time. I want my kids to look back at this snow fall as the time when daddy and mommy just hung out with them, played with them, did cut and stick projects and were a family.

Today, let's be family, let's create good memories, let's laugh with our kids, let's fill our family with love.

Ready, steady, love on your kids.

No comments: