Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Seeking God's Face - Will You Surrender?


It's Tuesday, only a few days before we embark on a special journey. Only a few days before we have the opportunity to put ourselves in a place where change can occur. A place where  real change can come. But it takes just one thing. It takes our willingness to submit.This incoming week of prayer and fasting will be much more difficult for most of us than we think.

For many of us we have thought about the physical difficulties that we will face as we deny ourselves food, or certain foods, or technology or whatever it is we believe God is asking us to give up.

I wonder how many of us have considered the cost that next week will bring on who we are. I wonder how many of us have thought that next week might just be the time when we deconstruct our dysfunctional relationship with the Lord or with our friends, spouse, family, and then wait as He lovingly reconstructs us to e the person that God wants us to be.

I wonder if we think that we are just going to spend time telling God the things that we want or feel we need, or have we grasped the enormity of the possibility that we will simply put ourselves in the presence of the living almighty God of the universe, and He may wna to make some adjustments.

Will we be willing to change? Will we be willing to allow Him to break us? "But what will people think or me if they really find out what I am like?" "Will people still want to be in the same church or small group as me when they learn that I am not the person I portray myself to be?" "How can people follow me if they learn the sort of terrible things that I do when I don't think I can be seen or will get caught?"

I believe that this week is a critical point in the life of our church. It is a time when we can allow the Holy Spirit to sweep through his house and clean away long held positions and fears and replace them with passion and love. It is a time when the Holy Spirit can take a tired and weary people who have become tired in rebuilding the walls and strengthen their hands and reignite the fire in their hearts to continue the work that the Lord has set before us.

I believe that this incoming week could be a week that is looked back on as a 'red letter week' in the history of Mt Oak. This week could be a week when we truly humble ourselves and pray and seek His face and His righteousness. This week could be the beginning of something great.

Or it could be just another week, except one where our stomachs growl more frequently.

You decide.


No comments: