Friday, April 10, 2009

Wholly Weak


Have you thought about this weekend? I am sure you have, but have you just sat down for a few moments of quiet contemplation and really considered what this weekend is all about? I have found myself caught in the tension of spending all my free time in preparation for this weekend and yet have not really sat down and spent enough time in contemplation of this weekend. This weekend we will run through a number of emotions as we spend Thursday remembering the Passover and the final meal that Jesus had with his disciples before he was arrested. On Friday we will, in some way, relive the sacrifice that He made when He submitted Himself to the authorities and allowed them to beat His body and ultimately, after an unfair trial, crucify Him on the cross. On Saturday, we have a chance to come together like the early disciples and to remember the things that God has done and how He said that on the third day He would rise again. Finally on Sunday morning we have the tremendous opportunity to worship together and to celebrate the truth that Jesus, who was dead, now lives.

How do you get your head around that? How do you not explode when you think that the creator of the universe, the God of heaven and earth, the God who spoke and light became, sent His most prized possession, His only Son, His boy, to come to the traitor race who had rejected Him and turned their backs on Him? How can do anything this week but fall flat on our faces in adoration and praise because we were once dead but Jesus, through His sacrifice, came to bring us life? This week is known as ‘Holy Week’ but I think that we should think of it as ‘Wholly Weak’ because that is what we are.

We are completely unable to rescue ourselves. We are completely unable to get ourselves out of the difficulties we find ourselves in. we are completely helpless.

We are WHOLLY WEAK and we need to accept that – quickly. I have found myself this week planning things for this weekend and not even going to the Lord in prayer with them – who do I think I am? When did I begin to think that I had a good idea? Even Jesus when He was on earth only said and did the things that He saw the father say and do. I wonder if He talked all the time – or if God the Father had moments when He was silent. I am sure that Jesus did not fill in the silences with His own words. I believe that He waited until further instructions. In my weakness though I know there are times when I fill in the blanks with what may be very good ideas or thoughts, but they are not always what God the Father is saying. I need to not be afraid of my weakness and not look upon my weakness as, well, a weakness.

Our culture has dictated that only the strong survive – it is the Darwin way! But yet it is not the Christian way. We are reminded in Matthew 5 that it is the poor, the meek, the merciful, the peacemakers who are blessed. Society dictates that the weak will not survive, only the strong will. God’s kingdom is not governed by our societies dictates though. Isaiah 40:29 says, ‘He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.’ Romans 8:26 says, ‘In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.’ 1 Corinthians 1:27 reminds us that, ‘God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.’ God said in 2 Corinthians 12:9, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."

We need to embrace our weakness and in fact we need to set aside our own strength, our own abilities, our own talents and gifting and take on only what the Father asks us to do. We need to become WHOLLY WEAK during this Holy Week.

No comments: