Thursday, March 12, 2009

Never Beat The Sheep

I have been wrestling with some thoughts this past week. It started with reading Exodus and the story of Moses and the children of Israel. As I thought about that story I could see things very clearly from Moses point of view - the reluctant leader, being asked to do something that he believes is beyond his talent or ability. I could see how the grumbling people became so much of a frustration to Moses that he even went to the Lord and said, "What am I to do with these people?" in Exodus 17:4. I could see how difficult it must have been for Moses to lead such a quarrelsome group who continued to want to return to the slavery they had been liberated from. A few verses after Moses complains to the Lord about the Israelites, he is instructed by God to strike a rock that the Lord allowed water to flow from to meet the latest grumbling need from the Hebrews. I imagine Moses hearing the instructions to strike the rock and rather that that one majestic strike the Charleton Heston did in the Cecil B DeMille movie, I can see Moses just hammering the living snot out of that rock with his staff, taking out his frustration with some 'exercise'.

So, hold that image in your mind and come with me as I transition to the other side of the coin. On Tuesday I was reading Bill Hybels "Axiom" book and a chapter entitled 'Never Beat The Sheep' leaped out at me. In the two and a half pages that this chapter consumes contained some of the most convicting words I have read in a long time. Hybels discussed how leaders can see what many others cannot see. They strive to the next thing, even when the people may not have finished the task at hand. This comes naturally to them, however to the people it can appear that the leader is never satisfied, doesn't stop and indeed doesn't even know how to slow down. This can produce incredible frustration for the people. Like the children of Israel in the desert - there was Moses out in front following the cloud and pillar and the people are behind wondering where they are headed to. I am sure that many of them were happy when they settled in one place for a little while, only to get aggravated that they have to up and move again, and for them this went on for 40 years.

When this frustration is not handled appropriately it becomes 'grumbling' from the people and can be even worse from the leadership - sheep beating. There are times when leaders can take their frustrations out on the people and instead of loving them, caring for them, protecting them, training and teaching them, they can often revert to beating the sheep for not doing what the leader believes the sheep should be doing.

So here is the eternal dilemma - leaders are called to lead, are gifted to lead, are anointed to lead and are appointed to lead. Sheep are followers, however they will follow pretty much anything that looks good - which sometimes goes against where the leader is going. However, with gentle correction most sheep will move back to the path that the leader is following. I fear that sometimes what the leader believes to be GENTLE correction is received by the sheep as a beating, at least, I can see this has been the case in the leadership that I have been involved in over the years.

I have been praying recently and asking God to forgive me for any times that I have beaten sheep. It has been a difficult couple of days to think back over the areas that I have been allowed to lead in and to realize that there were times when I struck the sheep with the staff and not the rock that God had designated. I wanted to apologize through this article to you if through things that I have written, said or done I have in some way beaten you down. It has not been my intention, but to be honest that is never an excuse. Bill Hybels is right, 'Never Beat The Sheep'. He concludes his chapter by instructing leaders that 'A word of loving admonition every once in a while might be appropriate, but put the stick away. Permanently.'

As I continue in the position of leadership that the Lord has put me in I will endeavor to follow this Axiom and please, if I say or write something that contradicts this then would you gently remind me that sheep beating season has passed? Lord, help me to put the stick down and never to reach for it again.

God bless

No comments: